Thursday 29 August 2013

Quilt Hangover = Small Projects

Last week I finished what I can only describe as a "giganormous" quilt for my sister.  I'm not gonna lie, it left me with a bit of a quilt hangover.  You know that feeling, you finish something that consumed both your mental energy and physical time for so long that you can't imagine diving right back in again?  I think that's why I typically intersperse big projects with small ones.  After a quilt, I'll make a lunch bag, or another kind of bag, or a wallet, or pouches.  That's just what I did today.

You see, we've been back at work full throttle this week before the school year begins.  Today, we had a unit meeting and I travel with a lot of electronics.  I have a personal cell phone, a work cell phone, and an iPad which I use to take notes.  Additionally, when we get resources and handouts, I like to tab, highlight and write in the margins.  So naturally, I have to cart a bunch of cables and other office supplies around.  I solved this dilemma by making myself a pouch that pretty well lies flat so I can shove it in my purse or cart it around with my actual iPad.  When I took out a pen today, my Principal saw my pouch and simply said "I want one."  In the interest of not engaging in a career-limiting move, that's what I made tonight.

This is some left-over Amy Butler Lotus fabric I had from a bag I made.
The first step is choosing the fabrics.  They have to match both the function of the pouch and be something she won't mind having on the table at meetings and workshops.  Then I had to make sure I had a zipper in the right colour and length cuz there was NO way I was going back out tonight! After a precariously stacked pile of fabric fell on my head as I tried to root through drawers to find a matching one....SCORE!

Then I put the front together.  I used a Lazy Girl pattern so it was a relatively quick and simple job.  Sewed the zipper into the top and bottom rectangles (folded right sides together) then pressed the fabric back.
Tried to line up the lotus flowers as well as I could.  Not too shabby!
Then really, it was a matter of layering the lining fabric, batting, back and front (zipper side down) and sewing around the perimeter.  A quick trip through the serger to finish the edges and then flip it right sides out and voila!
All ready for the next meeting!
Now I just have to remember to take it to school tomorrow.  Ha.  Onto my next small project....PILLOWS!

1 comment: