Friday, 3 January 2014

Organizey Heaven

Okay, so you may have seen this:

This is my fabric (or the majority of it) in an "organized" fashion.
This picture is the after effects of the fabric tsunami that occurred when the weight of my accumulated fabric caused the plastic containers to buckle and collapse (recall I thought I was the victim of a home invasion when I heard the crash).

Well I finally went to Ikea over the holidays and sought out a more stable solution.  There was a big sale on so I picked up an Expedit unit, and some inserts to make cupboards and drawers.  I was pretty know, till the building part began.  Ugh.

I put the unit together in my hallway where there was more room.  Notice the horizontal orientation.
So I knew (because I measured) that there was more than enough room in my closet for it to lay flat like this so I could stack bins on top of it.  However, when I went to put it in the closet, I couldn't get it to fit.  My by-pass mirrored closet doors should pop right off but I could not, for the life of me, get them to go!  So it meant that I had to take all those inserts out and reorient them so I could get the thing to go in vertical.  Jeez.

Fortunately, vertical orientation fit like a glove.  So I started to load it up.  I am loathe to admit, those cupboards are full of fabric too.
I really did start to wonder if I was going to need another one.  I'm not going to lie, this works for my current stash, but if I get any more fabric, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get another one.  Its a weird feeling, having done this sewing thing for 5.5 years, I'm half proud and half ashamed of myself.  Lol.

And here she is - I used the actual existing shelf of the closet to store my bags and partial bags of batting
And my favourite part?  I spent the time to fold all of my fat quarters and put them in a drawer so I can see them all at once:
Super endorphin delivering happiness!  I will save the fun of putting them in colour order for another day.
Bonus, I even found some less-than-pretty to me fabric to donate to the local guild.  I know I am never going to use it so they might as well dedicate it for some community projects.
I'm not going to use any of this - someone else might as well.
And after that my hands were a bit sore from all the screwing drawers together, then unscrewing, then re-screwing so I sat down to sketch out the duvet cover I'm going to make for my crazy friend Brenty.  He's a lovely blend of funny and whack-a-doodle so I knew anything I made for him had to represent his boisterous and out-there personality.  He loved the sketch so I am all set to go on my next project.  You know....when my new fabric gets here.  

Not using an existing pattern, but knocked a to-do off my 2014 list by sketching it out myself.  We'll see how it goes.  I had to do quilt math!  :o

No comments:

Post a Comment