Thursday 2 January 2014

So much to catch up on!

Ack!  I haven't blogged in FOREVER!  The darn holidays!  So much to do in so little time!

Let me catch you up on a couple of things.....

I made two of these quilts (which I am calling Blitzen Trees) for a couple friends of mine for Christmas:7
Each of these two ladies was the recipient of one of these quilts just before the last day of school.
I pieced the back from "A Merry Little Christmas" by Zoe Pearn for Riley Blake.  I liked the line so much I also used it to make a whack-a-doodle of pillow cases for the kids I know.  Okay.  Confession.  And one for me too.  :)
The gigantic window in front of the quilt is shining through the quilt and making it see-through!
I also decided to whip up (Ha!  It's only "whipped" in comparison to the investment of time it took to make two twin sized quilts.  Its funny how your perspective changes) a couple of table-runners for the fabulous Principal/Vice Principal people I work with.  These used a fun line of Christmas fabric in non-traditional colours called "Aspen Frost".

Aren't these cute fabrics?!?
 So the "whip" part....SIX hours!  It took me six hours to make each of these from fabric-cutting to binding.  It's a sad state of affairs when whipping something up is a six hour investment.  Maybe not bad all told but I felt like this view of my sewing machine is all I saw for the whole month of December:

Stacks of triangles.  You know, to go with the other stacks of triangles I sewed....or trimmed.  
I got so busy trying to get these done before the last day of work before the holidays that I actually forgot to take pictures of them once they were finished.  Whoops!  Um...but here's a couple shots of the finished tops:

Pardon this one - it's kind of an epic panorama fail with my camera phone
Okay, so then it was Christmas and I got a WHACK of quilty stuff for Christmas (thank you friends and family who must clearly love me).  I think I might single-handedly be able to keep Pink Castle Fabrics in business through their first quarter at least!  And I got a subscription to this...thing...called Quilty Box.  Its a magical, secret box of stuff that will show up on my doorstep every month.  I will definitely keep you posted on that.

....and then there was the fabric.  Aweeeessssssooommmmeeeee!  Pink Castle has a 30% off sale right before the holidays.  Kind of their inventory clearance time.  I kinda got me some deliciousness.  I kinda didn't need it.  I kinda didn't care.
Some pretty low-volume fabrics.....I needed them for my stash.  Yup.  Needed
And this!!!  Joel Dewberry's True Colors line - I really want Heather Bailey's too!  These are amazing.  Most of them are a take on some of the fabric patterns he made for his Aviary line which I am in LOVE with.  
This lovely teal/blue/green combo is my favourite from the line.  I already separated it out from the others and put it with some other fabrics I want to use to make a quilt for me! 
And that was my holidays!  Better late than never!

No comments:

Post a Comment